> ... The JavaScript I ended up using was one very short function.
> I could have sworn I pulled it from either Eric Meyer's "More ... "
> book or from The CSS Anthology along with research via Google.

I just found my SOURCE today and thought I would pass it along. The O'Reilly
"CSS Cookbook" by Christopher Schmitt. It's in Chapter 3: Links and
Navigation and here is called 'Creating Collapsible Menus' (pp 78-80).
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cssckbk/

There is a zip available of code and I think the example is there.

Additional comment: Chris was right to correct my comment that implied short
JavaScript was 'better'. As he so well stated, short really has nothing to
do with "better" or not. I meant that I used one that had much less JS
involved.

Lynda