> No need for quirks mode, I don't think.  Set html,body{height:100%} (as
> well as your table) and you should be good to go in standards mode.

Hmmm.... why does <html> and <body> need a height?  That is surely a hack.

> I'll let others reply to the more specific height details of CSS, as I
> can get it working but don't understand it as well as I'd like to.
>
> [1] making page content full height of the screen without hard coding
> height.

Ok, I'll throw it open to the CSS experts.  Two divs:

The requirement is that the header div must not scroll off the page,
it should remain fixed at the top of the page.  The content div will
fill with content and should be scrollable vertically when needed.

Constraining that contents div to the available viewport is the issue
(and having it resize with the viewport) - if this is possible in a
standards compliant way using only CSS I would be very thankful (and
mightily impressed as I don't think it's possible).