Hey all,

Shaun Inman recently published a new tool that I though deserved to get some attention, especially since it's directly about CSS and fills what I consider to be a hole in CSS. It's called "CSS-SSC", where the "SSC" parts stands for "Server-Side Constants". It lets you define constants in your style sheet like so:

@server constants {
   baseColor: #ABCDEF;
   hiliteColor: #0DECAF;
   baseFont: Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;
}

body {font: small baseFont;}
a:link {color: baseColor;}
a:hover {color: hiliteColor;}

Okay, those are very limited examples, but if you picture using constants in a large style sheet, you begin to see why they could be very handy. It does require that you have PHP running, and that you edit a .htaccess file in order for this to work. It also requires that your CSS files get poured through PHP in order to be preprocessed. The end result is that they'll be sent out as regular CSS, with all the constants substituted. It has to happen this way, because otherwise browsers would get confused (rightly so). And while it's possible to cover many cases with grouped selectors, I speak from personal experience when I say you can end up jumping through some pretty crazy hoops with just grouping. There are definitely cases where I'll be using CSS-SSC to make my CSS less obfuscated. The forerunner to CSS-SSC, which was called CSS-SSV, came up in a thread about PHP echoes in CSS, and I was concerned it had gotten buried. Hopefully this will come to the attention of anyone who needs it.

--
Eric A. Meyer  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Principal, Complex Spiral Consulting   http://complexspiral.com/