On 1 Sep 2005, at 6:19 am, Randy Peterman wrote:

Hello, I've got a client who's looking for support for Japanese fonts in an HTML editor (HTMLArea). I am not concerned with the JavaScript and the HTMLArea stuff - this is not the list for that discussion. However, I'm having difficulty finding any information on the appropriate way to represent the following font families they're requesting: MS P Gothic and MS P Mincho. I have tried to Google for some answers but so far have only come up with limited information. Does anyone have any prior experience with this?

I guess what I'm looking for is some example like:
font-family: /* font-family for each of these here */

Here is what I use:
body { font-family: 'Lucida Grande', 'Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro', 'ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3', Osaka, 'MS Pゴシック', sans-serif; } h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, strong, b {font-weight: bold} /* must be specified, some browsers don't bold otherwise */

This works fine across browser-land, except for Omniweb (will be fixed in a next release) and Opera 7.5 Mac. Linux is a bit of a problem to specify a font (too many variations across the distros), but falls back on the default specified in the browser (and most Linux users know how to handle that).

I recommend against using Serif fonts, they are *very* hard to read on screen.
XP doesn't do font-smoothing under 18-19px for Japanese text.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
<http://emps.l-c-n.com/>