Bruce Searl wrote:

where and how should I define the basic and extra styles for my general body
text? including smaller text, or special but often used side panel text?
By using contextual selectors and classes you can specify exactly where your styles are applied. So, if you have a side panel you might create a rule:
#sidepanel p {font-size: .7em;}

This rule will only apply to a <p> that appears within the sidepanel and no other paragraphs anywhere else.

You could then add a rule with a class:
.red-text {color: ff0000;}

This class could then be applied to a specific paragraph.

I get that I can specify attributes for a <p> container... but what about just plain old
text that happens to be on the page without a <p>inclosing it?</p>
All your text on your page should be enclosed in some sort of element (a <p> or <h#> or something). There should not be any text that is not enclosed in an element.
If I assign a style to the body for my body text...
You can add a rule to <body>, something like:
body {
        color:#000;
        background: #CCCCCC url(../body-bkgrd.jpg) repeat-x fixed left bottom;
        font: 100.01% Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif;
        }
This sets the font color to black, sets the size to 100% of whatever the user has assigned to their browser, and using Arial family. There is also some stuff there on a background for the page.

Again, there should be no text outside an element...but if there were it would follow these rules.
Why style the table, when the text is what I want to effect and What if I want
more than one thing in a given table cell?
This is the use of contextual selectors in practice. By using ID's in <td>'s then your rule only applies to this particular area.

You can use a class to capture other portions within the cell.

If I set the style to the table... it will effect the body copy... but then
what is the
correct way to define the fine print..
Lastly, try moving away from tables for layout and use the <div> instead.

--
Joe Huggins MSW, MSCIS
Clinical Science