Ah, my mistake.  I'll have to let the more experienced give you the
perfect answer, but I'll take a stab at a not-so-great one (or two).

Is it possible in your layout to have a "blank" div to both the right
and the left of the main content?  You would then have a 3 column type
of layout, but the outer two would only contain your background image.

-or-

Still using the method I mentioned in my previous reply, you can
position the background image in CSS, so if you can figure out "where"
your middle content edges are, you could place the images accordingly.
I'm not sure if this is possible, but I figured I might as well mention
it.

<waits for those above-mentioned experts.>  :)