Ken,

Here is a demo I cooked up that is one possible approach to your design.

http://www.jimdavis.org/test/test1.htm

This design uses an image in the body for the left column (not an original
idea, btw).

Works in FF and IE PC. Will need to have an exception to correct the IE 5
box model (see http://www.projectseven.com/csslab/boxmodel/ )

hth,
Jim