Hello everyone,

although the earlier problems with the disappearing paragraph have been
solved (thanks to Ingo's help), I'm creative enough to create some new
problems, this time to IE and Opera.

CSS: http://www.cityofdis.org/signo/brushed/general.css

I made some changes to the ealier layout. Now, the header and the footer
are fixed positioned, so they won't scroll with the page. Using
transparent PNG images, the content scrolls gracefully under the shadow
of the main menu bar. Firefox 1.0.6 shows the layout exactly as I wanted
it to be in this stage of development, and so does FF 1.5 Beta 1 (see
the PS...). However...

*IE 6 issues*

CSS: http://www.cityofdis.org/signo/brushed/generalie6.php?s=brushed
(Yes, I was careful enough to send the right headers - or at least I
tried. I need it to be dynamic because of the AlphaImageLoader filter,
which refers to the main document directory when I ask for an image.
Since I'm planning to have multiple layouts in this site through PHP, I
need dynamic functionality to tell the stylesheet which directory to
search for the images.)

Microsoft's AlphaImageLoader filter is a true problem solver regarding
transparent PNG's in IE, but its 'sizingMethod' property lacks a lot of
functionality. Checking the MSDN Library[1], I have found out that there
are only three options I can choose for it: scale, crop or image. None
of them applied to what I needed for the pageHeader div background,
which would be the old and good 'repeat-x'. So, goodbye to the graceful
under-shadow text scrolling for about 90% of the web users. After all,
who cares. If there is any workaround to this, I'm listening, though.

More concerning, however, is what happens with the width of the
pageHeader div when I emulate the fixed positioning in IE. Every time
you load the page, it overlaps the scrolling bar. If you hover over the
menu items, yet, it gets to the right place.

The menu items use a behavior to get the paragraphs visible
(http://www.cityofdis.org/signo/showli.htc), since IE doesn't understand
the :hover special selector for anything besides 'A' tags.

Question (finally!): how can I get the size of the pageHeader div to
behave correctly from the beggining of the page load?

(I do not want to make any fixed width room for the scrolling bar using
padding and margin, firstly because it depends on the user's OS
preferences, and secondly because the most common scroll bar width (16
pixels) breaks the merging of the logo's and the background's shadows -
for the merge to be correct, the logo can only move right and left by a
multiple of three number of pixels.)

*Opera 8 issue*

When you load the page in Opera, everything seems fine. However, when
you scroll the content under the main menu and hover over its items, the
explanatory paragraph doesn't show up. You can see the "A" tag have been
hovered because its background changes, but still no sign of the "P" tag.

My guess is it have something to do with stacking order, but messing
around with z-index didn't have any effect (does it ever?). Anyone can
help me with this?

And another funny behavior: if you have a mouse wheel, hover over any
menu item and scroll the page down with the wheel. The paragraph
disappears. Without hovering out the item, scroll the page back up. And
there it is the paragraph, as it has never gone anywhere!

Thank you in advance.

(and this because I haven't even started trying to make it work in IE
5.5 and ealier...)

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/filter/reference/filters/
alphaimageloader.asp (Link splitted into two lines. Copy and paste
should help.)

--
~ ugo pozo ` [EMAIL PROTECTED]
~ icq, msn ` 61410828, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PS: I have just completely replaced my old FF 1.0.6 installation with
1.5 Beta 1. As a webdesigner concerned with accessibility, please tell
me I didn't do something stupid.