I'm going to add one more point...you asked about the reason that the
burden is placed on the designer. There is a fairly significant belief
today that the web is about openness and flexibility. A newspaper, for
example, is a fixed entity. There is no way to produce newspapers of
different sizes, fonts, papers, etc., that would make everyone happy
AND be cheap to produce.

However, the web can provide this. Why should I insist that my user be
on a desktop machine? Why shouldn't someone be able to access my
website on a handheld? A cell phone? A text browser?

There are plenty who disagree with this, but I believe that this is
what the web is about, and I believe it is my job to build the web in
ways that allow this.

The only reason that more people don't see it this way is that the
people who we work for don't understand the web. Clients,
management...many worked in a non-web world in the past, and they
don't fully grasp the potential of the web heading into the future.
It's our job to do things the right way now.

CSS is one of those tools that makes the web more open, more flexible,
and more accommodating of our diverse world, rather than the
one-size-has-to-fit-all approach of past technologies.

Eric Shepherd
Buffalo, New York
www.arkitrave.com/log/