I have the following files:

http://yazminmedia.com/playground/test.htm
http://yazminmedia.com/playground/description.css
http://yazminmedia.com/playground/metal2.css

In the description.css file, if I float the .panel class, it forces IE/Mac users to have to scroll horizontally to view the whole page. If I remove the float: left; spec, the .results class div gets pushed down below the .panel
class div.

I'd like for the .results div and the .panel div to appear side by side.

That is a known bug in IE Mac. You have a floated block nested in a td within a whole bunch of tables. Took me quite a while to drill through to reach it in the DomInspector.

Here is the documentation for that bug, including samples and possible workarounds:
<http://www.l-c-n.com/IE5tests/float2misc/#fm003>

.result {display:inline-block; float: none} will probably fix that. Serve to IE Mac only.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
<http://emps.l-c-n.com/>