Gotta love Norton.... Last evening, I was poking around with Google and turned up a few sites that explained the "banner not displaying" part of my problem.

http://www.davidseah.com/archives/2005/02/12/blocked-banners/ for example, points out:

Blocked Banners!
12th February 2005 15:26 EST :: Filed under Gweeping by Dave

So I’m up here in Maine, looking at my website, and noticing the blue top “David Seah” banner was missing. Not only on Firefox, but also on Internet Explorer! After some poking around, it turns out that Norton Internet Security has an advertising blocker in it that does not display any image named “banner.gif”. So for months, anyone who has been running Norton Internet Security has not see the top banner. I renamed banner.gif to topbanner.gif, and the problem has gone away. I suspect other ad blocking software does something similar.

Now, though, I have a truly purely CSS problem I need better understanding about.

On http://covinahigh68.com/testingcss.htm

when the viewport is narrow enough for the words in the banner to have to fold to a second line, the banner is high enough to extend below the horses images. If the viewport is wide enough for all the text to be on one line, the banner cuts the hind legs off the horses.

What do I do to make the height of the bounding box automatically be tall enough to include the horses' entire height and then some?

--Guy

p.s. max- and min-width are ignored by I<stupid>E, so I hate to depend on them.

Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:
Guy K. Haas wrote:

http://covinahigh68.com/testing.htm

Can anyone explain why the white colt is not visible for some?

Check what screen/window-size they use. The white colt disappears into
the white background at width:1400, and reappears slightly at around
width:1546. So you need to define a max-width for that page, or a much
wider red background. Probably need a min-width also so it doesn't get
squashed.

regards
    Georg