Peter Frederiksen wrote:
Hi

I'd like to have a standard box for framework and 'quicklinks'. Generally the
information in the boxes is going to be tabular, so not surprisingly I'm using
tables.

In order to separate the rows in an orderly fashion I want to use bullets - which in
other words means inserting them into the <TD>s.

If you want a bulleted list, I would use the following:

<ul id="quicklinks">
 <li>quicklink #1</li>
 <li>quicklink #2</li>
 <li>quicklink #3</li>
</ul>

Pretty light, huh? And it's accessible as well - you don't even need a stylesheet! Seriously, bulleted lists are something XHTML+CSS does pretty well.

In your css you can add borders and colors and block display and anything else you want.

You might check out http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/ for a good tutorial on how to style lists.

When I was first starting out with CSS I would work late into the night (ok ok late into the morning and then into the next night and next morning!) cursing the W3C and craving to run back into DW so I could "table up" my design in 10 min and be done with it. But everything started to make sense for me when I stopped trying to shoehorn things into CSS, and instead took a step back and thought about what CSS was really good at doing, and then seeing if my content could fit into that model. That little change in perspective has made all the difference. I am not lecturing, just sharing my two cents on what worked for me. Hope the above helps!