Hi all

I favour breaking the CSS down into manageable pieces. When I've worked in
teams before that's enabled people to start with the same base and work on
their own parts of the project without overlapping. By that I mean a set
of common stylesheets @imported with page/section specific sheet(s) that
can be worked on indepentently. The small sheets have a defined purpose
and can be easily digested, requiring less orientation. This still doesn't
get around inheritance though.... That's a tricky one.

I'm not sure reams of documentation are the answer though... Programmers
hate documentation. How many people ever read it? How many people know how
to write it well? The number of times I've come to comments in code that
bear no relevance to the code itself because a developer's decided to come
back to it later... I tend to over-specify my rules to make the code as
self-documenting as possible. Classes and ids aren't orphaned (div#content
instead of #content) and as much of the path is specified as possible
(div#content div.promo instead of just div.promo). It can make for heavier
code but far better maintanability... I also use consistent naming
conventions to help orientation as well.

I wrote something about this a while back, although it was aimed at the
other end of the market - high turnover, small projects. Some of the
suggestions may still apply though.

http://www.contentwithstyle.co.uk/Articles/12/modular-css/
http://www.contentwithstyle.co.uk/Articles/17/a-css-framework/

I've been meaning to write a bit more about this for a while but I just
didn't get around to it...

Cheers

Mike
web developer | designer