Tony Balazs wrote:
http://www.snowflakeschool.org.uk

I have seen advice as follows: forget CSS and just use tables for something as simple as this; use Javascript (x.js) to get x-browser compatibility; write it quick and dirty in MS Powerpoint (! that has to be a bad idea, no?); use browser detection and write several versions.

A whole bunch of really bad advices. Surely based on knowledge that must
be even older than the CSS template you've chosen :-)
Ignore them (and IE4 and Opera 5 should be forgotten by now).

Your Mac is fine, and I think Camino is fine as design-check base. Not
familiar with that browser.

For cross-browser compatibility year 2005: rewrite all 'font:....' so
font-sizes are defined in 'em' or '%', and line-heights are in 'em', '%'
or 'unitless', as IE/win can't resize fonts defined in px-units.

Keeping banner centered:
As you describe it it sounds like you want the whole page to center, so
here we go...

1: Correct a flaw in mark-up.

There are 4 </div> at the bottom of <div id="leftColumn">. Only 3 of
them should be there, so move one down to just above </body>.
This is vital for centering to work, and keeping track of containers is
important in any case.

2: Use this style:
body
{
padding: 20px;
margin: 0;
text-align: center;
}

#pageFrame
{
display: table;
width: 984px;
margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
text-align: left;
}

That's all I needed to do for that page.
Looking fine in Opera 8.5, Firefox 1.4b1, Safari 1.2.4, iCab b280 and IE6.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no