Donna Casey wrote:

> can someone point me to a page that is 1) true, 2) reliable, and
> recognizably authorative, and 3) that says what the default settings are
> for Internet Explorer browsers - as in View>Text Size>Largest, Larger,
> Medium, Smaller, Small?

> I'm in a heated debate with a company for whom I do a lot of work, who
> insists that IE's View>Text Size setting defaults to Smaller. I believe
> it defaults to Medium.

Medium on IE is always 12pt BTW.

> However, I've found the following pages:

> http://www.ucl.ac.uk/library/ietext.shtml
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup/browse_thread/thread/739ea1b0f06ee708/5deca6cb16e3a34b%235deca6cb16e3a34b?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=1&num=3

> that indicate that if you have Eudora email, a glitch causes the default
> of the IE browser to set to Smaller.

That could well be. I've never installed Eudora, and so haven't
personally observed the reputed default=smaller problem.

> Anyone have info about this? To keep it on-topic for CSS, it relates to
> using 100% and ems for web development (which I do, always, using
> 100.01% on the body, setting my wrapper to .625em [roughly 10px at
> defaults] and then sizing child selectors with em values). Apparently,
> this is too small for this person, yet for all other clients of mine, it
> makes IE and compliant browser text the same size and makes it easier
> for me to gauge size in pixel amounts, assuming defaults.

Exactly why is it you need to "gauge size in pixel amounts"?

> But this client is not all that up-to-date with best practices (doesn't
> understand the differences between html/xhtml, much less how css and
> font-sizing works). He thinks that because he's reinstalled IE on his
> company's computers (I think they all use Eudora) and they default to
> Smaller, that the default setting IS Smaller.

> Help me out, please? Or if I'm wrong, I am happy to know it, but I don't
> think I am. A reputable page somewhere with the info would truly help.

I spent a very long time constructing these.
http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/absolute-sizes-IE5.html
http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/absolute-sizes-IE6.html

Compare Gecko on
http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/absolute-sizes-M.html and
http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/absolute-sizes-MvE.html
--
"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you."
                                                Psalm 55:22 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/