Hi Bob,

You wrote:

7) Try your hardest to never use SPAN again.
It's a very sloppy way of styling text. Using well
structured IDs, classes, and chosing the right CSS
selectors is much cleaner.

Hmm. I have used SPAN for some things that I
haven't thought up any better ways to do. The
biggest culprit is for styling numerators and
denominators of fractions, styling the similar
arrangements for size specification limits (when
they are not centered on the nominal value like
"+/- 0.005 in."), and subscripts in chemical
formulas. The use of SUP and SUB blows my line
spacing in running text--apparently the method
used to implement SUP and SUB hijacks the entire
line height and moves it up, thus bumping the line
down a little extra below the one above (SUP) or
bumping all the following text down (SUB).

I don't like the complexity of my markup very much
but I don't agree with your characterization with
the pejorative "sloppy" unless there is a simpler
way to get my lines spaced evenly in spite of the
fractionals and subscripts.

Any ideas for such a simpler way?

Regards,

Gene Falck