To: <css-d@lists.css-discuss.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 5:02 PM
Subject: [css-d] !DOCTYPE, position:relative, and rendering problems! oh my!

Hello all, I'm pretty new to this group, and to CSS in general. I'm a quick learner but I'm stuck at a couple of things.

First off, whenever I use a !DOCTYPE tag in my pages, they stop rendering properly. I've tried both strict and transitonal, to no avail. Specifically what goes bad is my background image stops repeating as it should, and I get only a portion of the image displayed once at the top of the page. The tags I'm using to get the centered repeat are background-repeat:repeat-y; bacckground-position:center. Any ideas?

Second, to get a centered page, I'm using text-align:center for the body, and position:relative for the container module. This renders perfectly in IE6, but in Firefox the container module aligns right.

Are these problems related, and what can I do? Thanks in advance for any tips you can toss my way.
  Here are the links in question in case you want to review my code:
http://www.legacyofpainguild.com
http://www.legacyofpainguild.com/master.css