Benjamin Rossen wrote:

> Tom Livingston wrote:

> > body{font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Sans serif ;}

> You can improve this. In a Windows machine you will get Arial font, and in a
> Mac you will get the similar Helvetica. However, your viewers using Linux
> are likely to get the bit-mapped Helvetica font. This font is required for
> system components under X11, is not scalable, and cannot be rendered with
> anti-aliasing. Between Arial and Helvetica, it is a good idea to name a
> Linux Sans font. As far as I have been able to tell, all Linux systems have
> an Open TT font named Sans, however, you may like to use 'Luxi Sans' (a

Sans is nothing but an alias for the OS-supplied (generic) sans-serif,
which is the default default browser sans-serif on every recent Linux
system I tested:

Fedora Core 4 (Firefox default set to URW Gothic L):
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/fonts-L-fc4-096-16.png

Mandriva 2006 (Firefox default set to URW Gothic L):
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/fonts-L-mdv2006-096-16.png

SuSE 9.3 (Firefox default left on generic sans-serif):
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/fonts-L-suse93-096-16.png

Screenshots source:
http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/Font/fonts-face-samplesL.html

IOW, using 'font-family: Sans' will only get you the generic Linux
sans-serif font if the browser's sans-serif preference has not been set
to some other font-family (of the 3 tests above, only SuSE).

> little tighter and more like Mac's Helvetica) of Lucida Sans (more like
> Arial). Also, some browsers will not understand the generic term 'sans
> serif' with a capital letter. This will give you the best result on the
> widest range of platforms.

> body { font-family: Arial, Sans, Helvetica, sans serif; }

NAICT, Mac users generally prefer Geneva to Helvetica, so better would be:
body {font-family: Geneva, 'nimbus sans', 'luxi sans', Arial, sans serif;}
--
"Be quick to listen, slow to speak."                James 1:19 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/