Hello Jono,

You can have a look at one previous post regarding IR techniques [1]
(references to test pages, usefull reviews and discussions)

This particular technique [2] seems to fulfill you requirements.
Drawbacks: transparent images / massive bump-up of font-size by user

[1] <http://www.mail-archive.com/css-d@lists.css-discuss.org/msg04488.html>
[2] <http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/tip.asp>

Cheers,

Jérôme Coupé
International Polar Foundation
Multimedia & Communication
<http://www.polarfoundation.org>
<http://www.sciencepoles.org>
Technical knowledge is not enough.
One must transcend techniques so that the art becomes an artless art,
growing out of the unconscious. - Daisetsu Suzuki, J. Hyams (1979, 99).