MANY thanks to Ingo Chao and Peter Williams for their very helpful posts!  I
tried what you recommended, and the different methods all worked.

I have a further question for Ingo, if I may.  You said, in part,

     You could try to transform this rule A into something
     which does basically the same:

          #header li *:first-letter { color: red; } /* ICh */
          #header a:hover { color: red; } /* B */

I tried that and it worked, but in my ignorance I don't understand the
asterisk selector.  I tried removing it and it seemed to work as well:

          #header li:first-letter {color: red};

I'm sure there's a reason you did it with this "universal selector" (the use
of which in general I don't understand very well), but I don't know what it
is.  Can you help me understand the difference and how that might play out?

Many thanks again to you both!

Charles Dort