There are a number of ways of doing shadows in CSS. The one you're asking about uses two divs; the out is the shadow and the in is the main div. The code simply makes the out div offset to the right & bottom and colours the background black (with a grey border, so it appears to blur).

Personally, I use a combination of a group of translucent PNG's and the shadow filter (to make up for IE's lack of PNG support) to do drop shadows on objects, http://crystalsanctuary.rpgsource.net/designs/msf/final/images-imagelist.htm#jumpmenu

Rick Faircloth wrote:

I checked out another of the demos on the cssplay site
and found this code, but I can't see what is creating the
shadow...in the other code I tried, filter:shadow was used,
but what in the code below creates the shadow?

--
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ - Get Firefox!
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ - Reclaim Your Inbox!