MANY thanks to all who have so helpfully replied to my question!

As a beginner, perhaps I've focused too much on the value of uncluttered
markup.

So far as I can see, I was able to complete all of the tasks of that chapter
(including changing margins, etc.) without "cluttering" the markup with a
class that to this beginner seemed unnecessary.  I would have supposed that
if in the future I made a change such as adding text to the <dd> with an
image, then I would need a class and could then add it at that point, and I
wondered why do it until/unless it's needed.

I gather from the replies that experienced CSS coders would often prefer to
"be prepared" for such a possible future need, even though it may mean
adding classes to the html markup that aren't actually needed, at least at
this time.

It's helpful for me to think about these things, and I thank all of you for
your help.

Charles