Eatme wrote:

I have been looking for the following layout solution for the past 24hrs:

3 column liquid with header and footer
ideally right and left are fixed width, but I may try liquid if it meets the other criteria
middle content column comes first
any column can be longest

the layout does not need to support 4.0 browsers, but should support all other major browsers.

Ideally the layout would:

not use javascript
keep hacks to a minimum

examples that i have found, but break in a few browsers:

this one breaks in IE 5.2 Mac (maybe others)
http://www.pmob.co.uk/temp/3colfixedtest_sourcenone.htm

here is one with liquid left and right columns, but it also breaks in IE 5.2 Mac
http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/liquid/8.asp

If the layout breaks only in 5.2 it may have more to do with a software rendering peculiarity of *your* CSS rather than that of the layout proper. Mac/iE5.2 has a number of peculiar problems in and of itself.
This is a helpful reference for 5.2.
<http://www.l-c-n.com/IE5tests/>
Regards,
~dL