Alisha said:
I know the topic seem a bit confused but here's what I'm trying to find out. I made a layout which is perfect on the minimal risolution for my webvisitors which is 800x600, but when it comes to much higher risolutions like 1400x1050 half of the screen is just black. Some time ago I saw a website, which I can't find again now, that made a sort of graphics which displayed when the resolution was higher on the right side that would have been empy.
Point is:
- i can't just make a div with a background image, absolute positioning it to right:0, because I need it to display just if there's more space beyond 800px wide. If it's just 800x600 it should be there at all cause it would overlap with the rest of the layout, so I thought about give it a left-margin or something like that of 800px, but then again point is, on higher risolutions I don't want the image to appear just after 800px even if the resolution is something like 1400.1050px I want it not to show before 800px from the left, but when it shows I want it always at 0px from the right side?

Hi Alisha,

Here's an untested theory -

Have two background DIVs - one nested in the other.

 ... site content ...

bg_wide you make width:100%, and you give it the background you want to show for large resolutions - and align that background image to the right. bg_normal you make width:800px, and either give it a solid background colour, or use another background image if your site at 800x600 uses one. There shoulnd't be any need to absolutely position either of these DIVs - you just set the backgrounds.

That way at 800x600 the bg_normal will hide the bg_wide - at wider resolutions the bg_normal will still be there, but the bg_wide will begin to show to the right.

HTH
Dan.