On 10/26/05, jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> fI was uder the impression that AOL uses the native IE in the
> system. Is that the case?
> I dont believe that is the case 100%,... I thought that maybe you guys
> could answer this for me in greater detail.

According to the AOL Webmasters' Info web site [1], the rendering
engine behind AOL on Windows is IE.  Here's what the site says
specifically:

"Beginning with Windows AOL 3.0 (32-bit), the AOL client does not have
a browser embedded, but instead uses the Internet Explorer browser the
user already has installed within their system. Macintosh and Win16
versions of AOL do have an embedded version of Internet Explorer which
is independent of the user's external browsers.

"Therefore, for modern AOL Windows clients, browser compatibility is
mostly independent of any specific AOL version. The AOL browser will
support most of the capabilities that a user's external version of
Internet Explorer does. There are various incompatibilities which may
arise in the way the specific AOL clients interact with the Browser
which can result in unexpected behaviors of the browser itself."

I personally have only encounted behavioral discrepancies between AOL
and the native IE installed on the system, and never rendering
discrepancies.

REFERENCE
[1] http://webmaster.info.aol.com/compatibility.html

--
Bryce Fields, Webmaster
Where I Work: Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education

"Do or do not! There is no try!" -- Yoda