Pringle, Ron wrote:

I'm trying to understand exactly why the W3C CSS validator now spits out
errors for instances where you do not declare a color on a property with a
background-color declaration, or vice versa.

It doesn't. The validator spits out WARNINGS for that situation, not ERRORS. Those are very different beasts. This has come up a lot recently. Please search the archives and read the Wiki validation page. <http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CodeValidation>

Am I missing something here? I don't understand the point of the validator
invalidating my css on these issues. I'm inclined to ignore these issues
with the validator, but at some point I'm going to have to explain to my
bosses exactly WHY the code doesn't validate and why that's ok.

Just to reiterate, the code DOES validate, which should go a long way toward satisfying your bosses.
--

-Adam Kuehn