> Without knowing or understanding some basics, I get the
> feeling that I'm building on quicksand, and thinking fondly of tables.

I totally sympathize but you hit the nail on the head... to master any
piece of web technology (or just about anything really) you've got to
get a thorough understanding of the basics first, otherwise, yeah, it
can be a time-consuming and frustrating learning process.  Personally, I
floundered for weeks trying to figure out CSS on a new site design and
it wasn't until I sat down for the weekend and read a book on CSS that
it all came together.

But, if it helps, three practical suggestions:

1) make sure your HTML and CSS code validates, first and foremost

2) avoid hacks if you can; use them if there's no other way around them

3) take it step-by-step; try coding for a one-column site first and get
that going on multiple browsers; then try adding a second column -- what
happens when you float the column? or use relative positioning?; then
try adding a heading and a footer; then code your navigation; etc.  In
other words, start simple and build upon success.

Good luck and have fun with it!