Now that I have my design working in IE 6, FF1,NN7,Opera, I thought I'd
tackle IE 5 and IE 5.5 and so have those both running on the same
browser.... problem is that because I am running all on same machine, I
can't use the conditional comment filter to specify specific browsers
(because they all think they're IE 6)....

Here's the code:

.rollover ul { /* this is the dropup */
  position:absolute;
  bottom: 64px;
  padding: 10px;
  margin: 0px;
  width: 105px;
  list-style-type:none;
  _bottom: 63px;
 }
 * html .rollover ul
 {
   padding: 10px 10px 10px 0px; /*for padding issue on IE/WIN 5.x*/
   p\adding: 10px 10px 10px 10px; /*IE6 should read this, right? but's not
*/
 }

 .rollover ul li {
  font-family: Optima, Arial, sans-serif;
  font-size: 12px;
  font-style: normal;
  line-height: normal;
  color: #FFFFFF;
  text-indent:0px;
  height: 16px;
  padding: 0px;
  margin: 2px;
  width: 105px;
  border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;
  text-align: center;
 }
 * html .rollover ul li
 {
   width: 95px; /*width issue on IE/WIN 5.x*/
   w\idth: 105px;
  _width: 101px; /*reset width IE/WIN 6.x but problem is, it also is read by
IE 5*/
 }

The second * hack should work if it wasn't for the fact that IE 6 needs to
have a different width for IE 5.5-- width needs to be 105 since it also has
a total padding of 20=125 width (the correct width). For some reason,
however, IE 6 adds the margin: 2px to the width, so I need to subtract that
and have IE 6 width be 101.