> 1. This appears in the <BODY> of the XHTML page, is that OK to be in
> the BODY and not in the HEAD?

Internal and external styles should be defined in the head section. [1,
2] For external stylesheets you can use @import or <link>. More on this
subject [3, 4].

If you run a page with the style tag inside the body element through the
validator [5] it returns the following error:

"The element named above [<style>] was found in a context where it is
not allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements
-- such as a 'style' element in the 'body' section instead of inside
'head'."

> 2. Does this affect (apply styles to) only the HTML that appears after it?

I don't think it does but I am not sure.

> 3. What does the > in the  >@import    do?

That ">" you see is actually part of the <style type="text/css" tag. It
just has some unecessary space.

Hope this helps.

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS1#containment-in-html
2. http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_howto.asp