One way around the confidentiality issue would be to take all text or
revealing names out of the code and post a simple test page with only
your layout elements in it (including form fields, since those are where
you issues lie).  Without seeing the problem, I'll try to magically pull
answers out of my hat though.  Maybe I'll get lucky.  :)

> However, when there is a form nested somewhere
> inside the div its background (image or color) is drawn from the left
> edge of the page instead of the left edge of the div.

What CSS do you have for bug 1?  Are you specifying the background 169px
from the left, or leaving it default?  Do you have negative margins or a
large padding on the left side of that div?  You might try putting a
border-left on that div and see where the border shows up.  If you
simply set a background without a background-position specified, your
div had no negative left margin, and your div had no large left padding,
your background should show correctly according to everything I
understand.

> there's a form inside the div...suddenly IE adds about 15-20px of
> unwanted padding between the top of the div and the top of its
> content.

You might try telling ie only that form elements have
padding/margin-top: 0 for bug 2.  There are some tricky padding and
margin issues and collapsing that I don't fully understand, but at least
this is something to try.

> But if I absolute-position it and its content is longer than
> the window, either the page doesn't scroll at all or the page scrolls
> but fails to scroll far enough to show all the elements in it.

For bug 3, absolute positions are taken out of the flow and don't
resize.  If you need it to resize and/or scroll, I think you'll need to
un-absolute it.