The reason I had {position: relative;} was so that I could force a vertical
space before the H2 and reduce the space below it (by a combination of line
height and top offset). If I had left it as a block, I could have forced it
down vertically with a top margin, but then I couldn't fix the bottom border
to the length of the text.

Still baffled!

Barnaby Scott