Charles Dort wrote:

> First, many of them are that I specified a background color but no
> text color, or the reverse. [...] To correct this will require the
> addition of several additional lines of code that to this beginner,
> anyway, seem unnecessary.

I am also a beginner, but I can tell you that this is worth
correcting. My browser is configured to display white text on black
background (much more comfortable to my poor eyes). If your CSS
specifies, say, black color and no background color, to me it will
display as black text on black background... Similarly, if you specify
a light color as background, my white text will be unreadable. When
you specify both, it's less comfortable to me than my default but
still readable.

Hope this makes sense to you :)

Nicolas