On 22/11/05, Stephen Kortz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> please explain to me why the pound sign is placed in quotes. I'm a bit
> baffled about this one.

In certain cases, authors may specify the value of an attribute
without any quotation marks. The attribute value may only contain
letters (a-z and A-Z), digits (0-9), hyphens (ASCII decimal 45),
periods (ASCII decimal 46), underscores (ASCII decimal 95), and colons
(ASCII decimal 58).

-- http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.2

Since the # character doesn't meet that requirement, the attribute
value must be quoted.

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk><http://blog.dorward.me.uk>