From: "Shelly @ WDG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>The code I'm using is as follows (the "top" div is where the links are
>located):
>
>#top {    position:absolute;
>    z-index:0;
>    top:0px;
>    left:0px;
>    width:100%;
>    background:#422911;
>    color:#EEE2C3;
>    height:30px;}
>
>a.top:first-letter {  font-size:1.2em;}
>
>a.top, a.top:link, a.top:visited {
>    display:block;
>    font-size:0.7em;
>    font-weight:bold;
>    text-transform:uppercase;
>    padding:0px 0px 0px 40px;
>    color:#EEE2C3;
>    background:inherit;
>    float:left;
>    letter-spacing:1px;
>    text-decoration:none;}
>
>a.top:hover, a.top:active { color:#E1B766;
>    background:inherit;}
>
>So why isn't IE6 rendering it properly?  I have IE browsers set out with
>conditional comments, and no matter what I do, it's not functioning.  At one
>point, I discovered if my "a" tag didn't have a class associated with it,
>and I changed the "first-letter" thing to "a" directly, then it worked - but
>when I tried to do
>
>#top a:first-letter {font-size:1.2em} it went back to "not working".  So it
>seems I'm stuck with "all or nothing" - which drives me berserk.

It's truly difficult to say what's wrong as far as IE is concerned, as I myself
am confused by the snippets of code you've provided.

Is the #top element a div or some other container element? In which case, #top
a:first-letter might work.

Or.... is #top the anchor element itself? If so, then that last construct most
certainly shouldn't work, as it would mean the first letter of an anchor
element nested in an element with the ID="top".

On the other hand, does the element identified with "top" actually have a class
attribute of "top" instead of an ID? If so, perhaps that's why you got some of
the instances to work, and not others. Or perhaps you've miswritten the CSS and
you really meant to write selectors that said a#top:first-letter {}.

What it looks like from the CSS you provided is that you have an element with
the ID of "top" in which you have anchor elements nested. But you've then
written styles where you speak of anchors with the class of "top", which
wouldn't match at all.

Has this confused you yet? As I said at the beginning, I'm confused by what you
showed us. Uploading a minimal case as previously suggested would help us to
diagnose if or where you might be writing selectors incorrectly.

In the end, you may have done everything correctly, I can't tell from snippets,
and it's just IE mis-rendering the pseudo-element. Hard to say at the moment,
though.

~holly