Charles Dort wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what trouble I might get into using this
> pseudo-class? If it will just be that some browsers will display it
> as regular paragraphs, I'm not going to worry about it.  The drop
> caps aren't that important. Here's the only page I've used them on,
> at least so far:
>
> www.allsaintsofamerica.org/new_site/index.html

You've mentioned the only real risk there is: that some (older) browsers
don't understand the 'first letter' pseudo-class. Not a real problem IMO.

In case you like to play with details, then there's also some
differences in how the latest browsers position 'first letter'
drop-caps. Nothing major, just a slight height-difference, but visible
on your page too.

I found I had to play a bit with some properties in order to level the
playing-field. Font-size, line-height and margins _together_ did the
trick, as Firefox and IE/win don't apply line-height defined on
drop-caps, while Opera and Safari do.

So I ended up with something like this:

p:first-letter {
float: left;
padding: 0 .1em 0 0;
font-size: 3.2em;
line-height: .7em;
margin: .02em -.06em -.2em;
}

...that is "tuned" across browser-land.

Can't be sure I've covered all the latest browser-versions, but not too
far off. Can be evaluated at
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_04.html>

You may all take a look at what IE6 does when running out of space for
the drop-cap. Look at the 'I' in the Opera-section, and narrow the
window carefully towards minimum (below 600px). "Nice feature", I'd say :-)
Other browsers is given a different min-width, so the drop-cap and text
isn't that easily broken in those.

regards
        Georg
--