> If that shift is too disturbing at your end, then try:
>
> html {height: 100%; overflow-y: scroll;}
> body {min-height: 100%; padding: 1px;}
>
> ...that should cover some browsers. Adjust padding as needed.

Thanks Georg, I tried this but got inconsistent results.  I have an existing
bottom margin of 50px, I could solve the page shift but lost the bottom
margin or vice versa, I tried different settings but couldn't get the same
on all browsers.  Kristina replied off list and suggested this:
html {
    min-height: 100.01%;
    margin-bottom: 0.01%;
}

After playing with both suggestions I now have this:
html {
    min-height: 100.01%;
@media all and (min-width: 0px) {
    html {
        height: 100%;
    }
    body {
        min-height: 100%;
        padding-bottom: 1px;

I believe the @media all is an Opera only filter?

I've tested with FF 1.0.7, Opera 8.5, and IE 6.0 on Win XP SP2 with the
following results:
FF    = no page shift, margin OK, no unnecessary scroll on short pages
IE    = no page shift, margin OK, no unnecessary scroll on short pages
Opera = no page shift, margin OK, some scroll on short pages

I'd much rather have a little extra scroll instead of page shifting, but if
anyone can see how to fix that as well it would be better.

The original post is here:
html:
http://public.softectra.com/dev/lang/markup/css/cssd/251105_1/index.html
css:
http://public.softectra.com/dev/lang/markup/css/cssd/251105_1/css/good_brows
ers.css

And the current one is here:
html:
http://public.softectra.com/dev/lang/markup/css/cssd/281105_1/index.html
css:
http://public.softectra.com/dev/lang/markup/css/cssd/281105_1/css/good_brows
ers.css

You can switch between the home page and COMPONENTS for long and short
pages.

Thanks for all your help.

I'm really desperate for some IE/Mac and Safari testing, can anyone help?

Thanks.

Mark.