Scot Schlinger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a div which contains faux columns and is split into to
> columns.  I know there is a problem because it shows up correctly in
>  ie 6.x but not in ff 1.0.4 as there is a 4-5 pixel gap between the
> faux columns and the surrounding division.  I placed a 1px border in
>  .blog and that got rid of the space (I was just using it to narrow
> down the problem) but I know that can't be the fix?
>
> url: http://baseballtriviaquiz.com/book/

Yes, it is...

The problem is "collapsing margins"[1], and the reason IE/win has
already "fixed it" is that the element is given dimensions. That'll
provide IE/win with a 'hasLayout'[2] trigger, so it encloses the element
and isolates the margin.

We may also apply any of the methods to create 'a self-contained[3]
block' to solve this margin-problem. Depends on what layout we have created.

However, a simple...

  #navigation {padding: 1px 0;}

...seems to work best in your case/page.

regards
        Georg

[1]http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/box.html#collapsing-margins
[2]http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html