Al Sparber wrote:
> From: "Gunlaug Sørtun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Maybe unrelated to this particular case, but what makes 'negative
>> margins' unstable in IE?

> It depends on who is writing the CSS. In teaching, it's usually
> better to teach a child math by starting with positive numbers :-) If
>  you can achieve a good result with a pocketknife, then there is no
> need for a machete :-)

I agree. I prefer a CSS sledgehammer and 6 inch 'Layout' nails myself,
just to make sure IE get the message.

But seriously, negative margins may give strange effects in some cases
in IE. Like when pulling floats too far over the edge of elements with
'Layout' and such, where stable positioning and visibility may suffer.
Maybe it's better just to tell that, so others at least have an idea
when things start to look shaky in IE?

Then they can create their own tests and learn one or more of the many
methods that can be used to stabilize rendering in IE. Learning how to
control the parts that can be controlled in web design is probably a
good thing. There are plenty of less controllable factors that people
post questions about all the time.

regards
        Georg
--