John Jameson wrote:
> The 6 transparent floated divs are to give a rounded margin in the
> top left corner.  They have class cNavPaneBg and ids NavPaneBg1 ...
> 6.

If you leave them out completely, and adjust margins on h1 & h2 to go
with it, then IE6 will act as Firefox, Opera etc.

> The non-floated div (orange dashed border) has classes cSection and
> cSplashSection1.
>
> The page is at: <http://uiwl.net/>
>
> I'm actually quite happy to leave the effect in place but I don't
> understand why it is happening.  If anyone can explain it for me that
>  would be great.

Something in the order of...

#HomePageIntro {
height:225px;
background:transparent url(home0100.jpg) no-repeat 0.5em 0.5em;
display: table;
margin: 30px 0 10px 0;
padding: 0 0 10px 0;
}

...will make Firefox, Opera etc. act pretty much like IE6 does.
----

The reason for all this is that IE/win receives a 'hasLayout'[1] trigger
through the presence of 'height' in '#HomePageIntro', so it creates an
isolating box-element because of its very own bug/feature.

Other browser can also create such an isolated box-element, but will
only do if/when they are told to - the standard way. We can do that by
floating the element, applying a 'display-table' property, or apply
'overflow: hidden' to the element. Different properties give different
results. All this is explained in, or linked to. in the article[1], so
you can figure out how to use or avoid these effects in IE/win vs.
standard compliant browsers, by reading through that article[1].

Pretty heavy stuff according to some... :-) However, it might be good to
know how to match IE/win with standards since IE6 probably will be
around for a while. Signs are that IE7 will have the same or similar
bug/features - even when in 'Strict mode', but no one can confirmed this
right now.

regards
        Georg

[1]http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html