I have implemented the changes suggested by Michael. I just checked
the site in BrowserCam. The site renders as I want in almost all
browsers except IE 6.0 and IE 5.2 on Mac. No surprise there.

In IE 6.0 the entire white center content disappears. In Mac IE 5.2
there are small white artifacts at the top of the white content area.
My first priority, however, has to be getting IE 6.0 to display the
page properly.

Suggestions gratefully accepted.

HTML and CSS are located here:

http://karaokesource.com/template.php