Ingo Chao wrote:
> Remy Merriex wrote:

>> [http://www.pdsxp.com/bov/wow.html

> The offset problem is due to the positioning and floating of the
> images, I think. A border on the top-right212.gif shows that IE tries
>  to align the container alongside these floats.

Can be solved by adding:
* html #content {
position: relative;
top: -95px;
right: -70px;
margin-bottom: -95px;
}
...on top of a few other, minor, cross-browser adjustments.

However, that will only work if the elements that are pushing #content
in IE/win will always stay that way. Too unreliable, so although it can
be made to look "pixel-perfect", it is a too weak solution IMO.

Another solution might be to eliminate the effect of dimensions on the
pushing elements, so IE/win doesn't "see" them - without affecting their
appearance on screen. Much more reliable, but still not something one
should do at an early stage in the learning-process.

Negative margins anyone? :-)

There's some complicated logic behind such solutions, and that logic has
to be understood in depth before applying it.

> So what started as a minimal invasive surgery had complications,
> massive inner bleedings in the deep nesting and the page died while
> debugging. I am awfully sorry, but this for sure was what George
> meant with "try to create another, more efficient and compact, one."

Exactly.  The original page is looking good and smiling :-) on my
screens - in IE6 and other browsers.
However, it is a maintenance-nightmare since it may break across
browser-land with one little addition and/or subtraction in source or
CSS. It needs a new and improved structure.

Getting a completely hack-free layout working is important at
early stages when learning CSS. Hacks and clever workarounds for IE/win
and other weak/broken browsers might be the only options in some cases,
but those cases are few and far between. Hacks, workarounds and deep
nesting isn't needed to create a page that appears and behaves like that
across browser-land, so Remy should better create a new page from scratch.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no