So, I was able to solve my problem by utilizing the following structure:

Like you said, I floated 1 and 2 to the left and then set the margin of
3 to the total fixed widths of 1 and 2 giving me fixed/fixed/liquid.  If
I want fixed/liquid/fixed, I float 1 to the left, 2 to the right, and
then set my left and right margin of 3 to the widths of 1 and 2
respectively.

You see any problems with this?  I noticed that source ordering is
critical, though.  I had tried this earlier but my source was out of
order so I wasn't able to make the above work.  After doing a ton of
research and trying a bunch of different methods, I did the above but
inadvertently with a different source order and realized it worked.

Initially I was trying to think logically and float 1 to the left, 3 to
the right, and set left and right margins on 2.  Obviously that doesn't
produce the expected results...

All sound good?  Any problems that I might run into?

Thanks for your help!!
Mike