Brian wrote:

>If you have a rule for
>#container a {} and want new rules for #container #foo {} just give it
>the rules - anything that requires overriding has to be explicitly set
>in any case. What would be the difference between #container #foo {} and
>#container a#foo {} if you want to override #container a {} rules?
>There's no point in specifying a#foo.

There still can be a good reason to specify the element: human
readability.  If it isn't otherwise obvious to someone maintaining
the site a year later (or to someone helping someone else on a list
like this one) that the unique #foo is actually a link, having a#foo
in the CSS can help in figuring out what the identified item is
supposed to be doing.  My understanding is that specifying the
element does add fractionally to rendering time in at least one
browsing engine, but in my view that consideration is generally
outweighed by the ease-of-use for future development.

In any case, this particular issue is largely a matter of choice, and
either way is not clearly better than the other.  Personally, I use
both methods from time to time, depending on the particular context.

-Adam Kuehn