I don't know if anyone's seen this before, but I ran into it recently
working on a photo gallery site for a friend: http://gallery.marshallweb.ca/

In FF, the images in the little square boxes are clickable, in IE5/6,
they aren't. A span inside the anchor is being set to overflow:hidden,
and then that's being used to crop a rectangular thumbnail into the
square shape (with negative margins to center on the middle of the thumb).

The simplest solution, I think, is to just move the anchor INSIDE the
cropping element, instead of wrapped around it, but it's kind of a
baffling problem. (particularly creepy that draping a
second---absolutely positioned---anchor in front of the whole business
appeared to have no effect.)

Anyone seen this documented anywhere? (the miniboxes are also present on
single-view pages: eg,
http://gallery.marshallweb.ca/georgian-bay-august-2004/dsc_0092 )

Mike