Hi Troy,
You wrote:

> Normally, the fact that the browser caches the external style sheet
> benefits the user. But while working on a large, commercial site,
> the problem of browsers recalling old external CSS from their cache
> has come up.
>

> If the external style sheet has changed, and the browser uses a
> cached version, the user will likely see some display problems.

Assuming you are talking about a testing environment, there are several
solutions. Most simple is to use a browser's options. In IE, from the menu at
the top, choose Tools > Internet options > General, then use the "Delete files"
button. Firefox? Easiest way - get the Web Developer's Tool Bar, open the
"Miscellaneous" item, and select "Clear Cache" from the list (#1). Opera -
Preferences > Advanced > History. For the Disk Cache item, either use the
"Empty
Now" button, or check the "Empty on exit" checkbox and close / open Opera every
time you suspect a cacheing problem. (Opera opens fast, and you can even reopen
it at the original set of pages.)

The other alternative is to configure Apache (if that's what you are using) to
set HTTP headers to expire CSS files. You may be able to do this with
"htaccess"
files[1] - but we are heading WAY off topic. I am sending this to the list only
because cache control can mess up CSS testing, as you say.

[1] <http://www.web-caching.com/mnot_tutorial/notes.html>

Cordially,
David
--