On Dec 25, 2005, at 9:44 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Roger,
>
>> You are looking for 'shrink-wrap' rendering.  You are getting it in
>> ie/win by exploiting a non-standard rendering rule in ie that expands
>> containers to hold their content.  The most common way to get this
>> behavior cross-browser is to float the element (works in everything
>> but
>> ie/mac).  Another option that more modern browsers understand is
>> display: table; and its relatives.  The down-side to this approach is
>> that you have to give different instructions to ie/win via conditional
>> comments or a hack of some kind.
>
> Thanks, I tried floating it before, but I wanted to retain the
> "block-element behavior" and wanted to avoid adding extra clearing
> elements. Setting display:table;width:0px; works as expected.
Here's an alternative that may let you use floats instead
<http://www.positioniseverything.net/easyclearing.html>

> Will there be any problems in the long run, if I redefine the display
> type
> of H2, as the element will be used a lot?

None that I can think of off-hand, but I know so little about the
context that I hate to predict.

Roger,

Roger Roelofs
"Remember, if you’re headed in the wrong direction,
        God allows U-turns!"
          ~Allison Gappa Bottke