francky wrote:
> flp wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I cannot seem to get IE to display my page correctly.  It displays my
>> content on the right BELOW the menu which is on the left.  In every other
>> browser that I have viewed the page with it displays the content directly to
>> the
>> right of the menu which is what I had intended it to do (under various
>> versions
>> of Linux and Windows XP Pro).
>>
>> The links are as follows:
>>
>> http://flprim.us/index.html
>> http://flprim.us/flp.css
>>
>> Both pass W3C validation.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any hints/solutions.  This has me stumped.
>>
>> ciao,
>> furlan
>>
> Hi,
> I was almost giving it up, and then a good laugh.What about *div#menu*
> in the stylesheet and <div *class*="menu"> in the html instead of ID?
> This time IE did what was asked (in the IE-way of course)!  ;-)
> francky

clear and float on one element throws IE6 into the 'quirkyfloatsmode'.

As francky has observed, your .menu class rule does not match the id
of the element.

By deleting all other rules but these two
  .menu a {float: left; clear: left; display: block; }
  div#main { margin-left: 25%; }

, this example shows some basic misunderstanding of IE regarding
floats.

Browsers following the specs show #main to the right of your  floats:

"non-positioned block boxes created before and after the float box
flow vertically as if the float didn't exist." [1]

Clearance does not 'switch floating off' (as I suspect the IE float
model is thinking):

"Clearance is introduced as spacing above the margin-top of an
element. It is used to push the element vertically ..., past the
float."[2]

That means in effect that clearance on a float is the private matter
of this float.

A nice example of the clear and float quirk on one element, but
followed by another float, is shown by Bruno Fassino [3], where IE
ignores the existence of the preceding clear+float element.

Ingo

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#floats
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#floats
[3] http://www.brunildo.org/test/IEWfc.html