I spend most of my time developing database driven pages where, as was
pointed out to me by members of this forum, the tabular output often
necessitates the use of a table. However, these tables often contain text
(field descriptions etc) and require formatting in terms of alignment, font,
size etc.

I have been looking at developing a set of 'tags' that could be used
generically so that changing the layout/format of the table can be properly
driven by CSS, so for example I would have a tag for column header, column,
row, cell, table etc that I could generate via my script for any database
table and control all the formatting in the CSS definitions.

I wondered if anyone might have already gone down this path or have any
input into the subject that would save me inventing any wheels.

Regards and thanks
Pete