Alex Kadis wrote:

> ... When the administrator is logged in, their editing-navigation doesn't
> work.  You can see what I mean at :
> < http://x.musicbyforecast.com/test/?fake-logged-in >
> It seems to display it when you go directly to the URL, but when the
> page is refreshed, it disappears.  When it *is* visible, part of the
> 'hover' bottom half of the image is shown.  (see the css rules for the
> left-side-navigation)
> The content moves down to make room for the extra navigation bar, but
> the navigation bar itself doesn't exist!  Also the navigation on the
> left side gets smaller when I go to:
> < http://x.musicbyforecast.com/test/admin/login.php >

You have a disappearing absolutely positioned element next to floats.
Basically, this is what Bruno Fassino describes [1] in case 7

float #main
a.p.  #admin_nav
float #nav

and one possible fix is to separate the a.p. element from the floats

Once the #admin_nav is visible, it is taller than the expected 32px,
according to the expanding box problem [2] (some margins/paddings of the
ul/li inside?). Anyway, overflow:hidden, served only to IE/Win via
conditional comments should help.

Same problem in your footer, I guess.

On my local copy of your page, the menu section shows a jump on hover, I
don't know the trigger yet. When it occurs at your side too after
applying the fix you have chosen from Bruno's page, you should start
another question here.

> In the footers of all of the pages is the following character: &#9835;
> (a music note) that links to the administration page, however in IE it
> looks like a box (as if IE doesn't understand what the character
> means).  Is there a way to fix it?

I am by no means an expert when it comes to Unicode, but does Verdana on
Win contain hex266B ? When I set IE's preferences to ignore your font
settings and use Arial as user web font, the music note is there, and
when I switch to Verdana, it shows this square. Hmm. But Fx on Win shows
the sign. Does Fx switch to the next font that contains the sign? Well,
some say Verdana is not the best choice anaway, and Arial should do in
the footer.

Ingo

[1] http://www.brunildo.org/test/IE_raf3.html

[2] http://positioniseverything.net/explorer/expandingboxbug.html