I'm trying to find the simplest CSS-compliant way to display something
quite basic: within a containing block, a repeating set of lines each
containing two pieces of text. In the aggregate, the lines are to create
two left-justified columns of text, like phone book white pages
listings. I want the text to appear in the HTML in row-wise order: "Line
1, Column 1", "Line 1, Column 2", "Line 2, Column 1", "Line 2, Column
2", etc.

Because inline elements can't have a specified width attribute, it seems
that a proper way to do this is with inline blocks, which allow a width
setting but still render inline. I tried this as follows (style specs
are in the tags for clarity only <g>):
Line 1, Column 1
Line 1, Column 2<br/>
Line 2, Column 1
Line 2, Column 2<br/>

In IE6, I get the expected result, 2 columns, one left justified at the
left margin, the other left justified 150px to the right. In Firefox, by
contrast, the width spec is ignored so the righthand content butts up to
the left.

Questions:
1) Is this method proper CSS and just a formatting failure in Firefox?
2) Is this the simplest CSS-compliant way to get two columns with
row-wise input?

John Gunther
Bucks vs Bytes Inc